October 27th SLOG Hunter Atchison

Hunter Atchison
October 27th SLOG

Since the beginning of the semester, CSC 104 has been one of my favourite courses. While the course content has increased in difficulty, I have been able to develop new study habits and strategies to help achieve my goals. One of those strategies I use when studying is creating my own problems or check-expect and making sure they run. What I enjoy most about Dr. Racket is that all the solutions are there for my use, and it offers guidance if you're incorrect or on the right track.

The
assignments and practice test that are provided as a study guide for quizzes and the midterm are extremely helpful. However, I was finding that I was not retaining the knowledge as well as I should be in preparation for the quizzes. This is when I came up with the strategy of creating my own practices problems. My strategy was to run each question on the practice assignment and observe the steps and results. I would then go back and create my own function for each question that I expected to produce a similar result. This helped me with the creation of functions, as well as taking an end result and backtracking to the original input. I was able to understand exactly what was happening, as opposed to just having a function and an answer. If I can understand each step of the problem I will retain the information better.

My biggest problem I face in this course are the complex functions with multiple steps, such as one defined with many placeholders. I struggle with understanding and following each place holder. I am practicing these more to develop strategies and ensure I am successful in solving them on future tests.

Another feature that I discovered in preparation for the first midterm was piazza. I enjoy piazza because you can ask questions and typically get responses quickly. Sometimes it can just be simple question that may seem easy to others but you are finding difficulty with it and being able to ask questions and get quick responses prevents you from stress and potentially developing bad habits if you had to try and figure it out on your own.

Through these last couples weeks  I have had many ups and downs with CSC 104. Mostly just in preparation for the midterm and trying to master all the material. I was able to successfully learn and grasp enough of the concepts that I was pleased with my outcome on the midterm, always room for improvement but it was a good start. I am thoroughly enjoying this course and I am excited for what is to come.








Comments

  1. Great post Hunter,

    are there any images you've made or functions to create images that you enjoyed or are proud of?
    I would've love to see them!
    Also, yes ... Piazza is fantastic. Myself as a student am addicted to using Piazza for help, you can communicate and (cry) with your peers, and get help from TA's and professors! A course that doesn't use Piazza feels ... really odd to me! So I'm glad you like it.

    Office hours are a great place to meet your TA's and professors. We're always super eager to meet students :) You should stop by and say hello!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

October 6th SLOG Hunter Atchison- atchiso9

December 6th 2017